Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a believer but...
Hello all,

I have never believed in the paranormal, ever. Well, that has changed. 

Out of curiosity, a few weeks ago I decided to try and debunk spirits/ghosts. I got interested because my husband watches "Ghost Adventures" and the like. I told him how stupid "that stuff" is. I am one that only believes something if I can see and/or hear it. I asked for a Spirit Box for Christmas and tried using it once. I didn't like it because I couldn't tell the difference between the radio or spirit voices, so I started using a digital recorder. 

One thing that triggered my curiosity is there were a couple of times since last summer that I thought I heard a distant radio station playing songs in my bedroom at night. This happened twice, with the second time being about 6 weeks ago. That increased my curiosity. I then got more interested and told my (adult) kids and husband that I want to take a trip to a local cemetery at night to see if I could pick up some voices. We haven't gone yet, but I did go to take photography pics not long ago. We also went to an old haunted jail (Squirrel Cage Jail) just to see if it looked "creepy" enough to go back some night and record. We haven't done that yet either (it costs quite a bit of money to book it for a night). 

Going back to the "radio" playing at night. I was told that if I wanted to know if a spirit lived in my home, that I should get a Ouija board. My husband and I used it a few weeks ago and didn't get any answers or communication. After the planchette went in circles a few times, we ended the session and said "goodbye". I was told that we broke a couple of "rules" by mistake--  we took our hands off the board/planchette several times. I also accidentally knocked the planchette off the board. I don't truly believe in Ouija boards but maybe I should? 

So not long after using the board a few weeks ago, I started asking questions in my house while recording. The first response I got was the first time I asked in my bedroom, "Is there anyone here with me?" I got a simple knock. I asked later that night what their name was. I got a faint hum or mumble from what sounded like a woman. I could only hear the voice on my recorder. I now have 5-6 different recordings of this "voice", and I only hear it when I ask questions. I have recorded it from 3 different rooms. There is no explanation for this voice. I tried ruling out everything possible. I left my recorder in my home office once fore about 5 minutes and heard it when I wasn't in there.

I am getting quite a few knocks now. I have also ruled out any possibilities of the knocks being something else. I have a recording where I went in my room (no knocks at the time), asked questions (still no knocks), left the room with my recorder on my dresser and knocks started. Several of them. I went back in, asked if they were there and I got a double knock. The knocks completely stopped after that. It's like they knew when I was there and when I wasn't. So now I am getting random hard single knocks in my bedroom-- which is where all of this takes place, btw. 

Well, the other day was the worst. I was petrified. It was almost like a final confirmation of someone being in my room. I asked them to knock. I then asked if they were there. Then asked if they could knock to let me know if they were there. Sure enough, it knocked. It sounded more like knuckles rolling on a hard surface. Hard to describe. That scared me horribly because it was a few feet away from where I was standing, in my bedroom. I have been petrified sleeping in my room now. My husband is out of town for work and it is torturous. Have I started something I might regret? Is this really real?

I must say, it is quite interesting and fascinating during the day, but scarier than sh** at night. I had an awful dream last night about loud pounding knocks. I woke up and covered my head with my blanket, plugged my ears, and lied there paralyzed with fear. Not sure if it was a dream or it was real? But I woke up scared and shaking. 

Don't get me wrong--  I don't feel threatened by this "spirit", as I might not even know it/she was here if I didn't record her. I haven't seen things move, etc. Just the answering of questions and constant knocks. I know I am not going crazy, as my husband and kids have witnessed this.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Any thoughts on mine? Should I be afraid and try to get her removed if it is indeed a spirit? I am so confused. Not sure I believe in paranormal but yet I can't explain all of this. 

Sorry for the lengthy message.
Thank you,
Charlotte
Like you, I never had much interest in the paranormal, for 30 some odd years of my life.  And as a person of faith, sure… demons, and the ability of the souls of those who have passed to touch the living, are a part of Christianity.  I just never thought I would meet one.  Then, one day, a spirit decided to attach itself to me.

Now, you made a number of mistakes and someone here will eventually point them out to you, so it might as well be me.  Please take everything I say knowing I mean them with kindness.  And right off the bat I want say, providing you haven’t left out any salient details, don’t be scared.  Just be creeped out.

First off, there could be number of reasons why you might hear knocking in a house.  And there are countless cases of electronics catching radio signals they weren’t intended to catch.  Always look for a rational explanation before looking for paranormal ones.  My television used to turn on and off on it’s own and I asked my father and he told me one of the batteries in the remote was likely almost dead.  Once I replaced the batteries, everything was fine.

Secondly, do not go to graveyards or places rumored to be haunted with the intention of seeking out ghosts.  Spirits can become attached to people and follow them home.  I worked as a server in a sports bar which I believe the spirits of two young children frequented and, while the vast majority of my experiences happened there, they sometimes followed me home. 

It’s a long story.  Feel free to ask me about it.

Get rid of the Ouija board.  For one thing, it’s a parlor game.  That doesn’t mean you can’t talk to some form of other worldly entity through them.  You can do that any number of ways, including speaking out loud, as your experiences seem to show.  It just likely won’t be the friendly kind.  General rule of thumb… benevolent spirits reach out to those among the living they have an affection for.  Dangerous ones prey on strangers and those who show some form of weakness.  If you don’t really believe in demons, it’s that much easier for them to trick you into inviting them into your life.  That would be your 'weakness.'  

This is a key point.  Do not, in any way, invite whatever this is into your life.  Right now you may have its attention.  But… and again, I speak only from my Christian perspective… demons can’t so much as touch the physical world without actually possessing a human.  You should be safe.  Just ignore the thing until it loses interest.    

Now, I’m not an expert on the paranormal.  Anyone who claims to be is a charlatan.  All anyone knows is what they’ve personally experienced and anecdotal accounts from others.  I can tell you that, from a psychological perspective, it’s perfectly natural to have dreams regarding things currently weighing on your mind.  I can also tell you that stress and sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations, including audio ones.  If you’re too frightened to sleep in the bedroom, sleep on the couch until your husband gets home.

This is in no way a complete addressing of everything in your post, which is quite long, but mine is getting quite long as well and I wanted to cover some of the basics.  Hopefully, others will add in.

As to the question of anyone else experiencing something similar?  I have.  Luckily for me, the spirits seem to have been just the mischievous kind.  Almost like they were playing friendly little games with me.  The experience, while it lasted a year, eventually ended.  I also wasn't a believer in the paranormal until one day, I was.  You're not alone.

Blue Cat
[img][Image: SignatureToday2_zpsb40bf612.jpg][/img]
Anything with a capacitor can pick up stray radio. From poor shielded speakers to a box to a box fan. As far as knocking sounds it can be anything from water hammer to your building different materials expanding and contracting at different rates. Ouija has been shown to be ideomotor  phenomenon. One thing to look at is with tens of thousands of ghost hunters looking there is no better proof today then there was hundreds of years ago. There are numerous institutions who will pay for proof and no one has claimed any of them. The link below explains lots of sounds.
https://inspectapedia.com/noise_diagnosi...gnosis.php
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Smile 
(02-06-2019, 06:18 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: Anything with a capacitor can pick up stray radio. From poor shielded speakers to a box to a box fan. As far as knocking sounds it can be anything from water hammer to your building different materials expanding and contracting at different rates. Ouija has been shown to be ideomotor  phenomenon.  One thing to look at is with tens of thousands of ghost hunters looking there is no better proof today then there was hundreds of years ago. There are numerous institutions who will pay for proof and no one has claimed any of them. The link below explains lots of sounds.
https://inspectapedia.com/noise_diagnosi...gnosis.php

Hello UglyNRude,
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the link/information.

My husband and I have ruled out other things that the knocks and voices could be. I have used 2 digital voice recorders at the same time in the same rooms and got the same "voices" on both, after asking questions. The voices sounds the same--  like an older lady. This voice sound was recorded in 3 different rooms. 

There is no explanation for the knocks. We have tried finding answers.There are no pipes, vents, or anything behind/near the wall(s) I hear the knocking on. The knocks can have sort of a pattern once in a while. It can't be just a coincidence that when I am in the room for long periods I hear nothing, but it is when I ask questions I get the knocks? My house is newer and I do from time to time hear it "settle", especially in the cold months--  it sounds like a little click in the ceiling area once in a while. The knocks I am talking about are loud and disturbing, sometimes with force--  some even sound like pounds on the wall.

I wish it was as easy as believing the things you are telling me, but I have tried and it just doesn't make sense in my situation, which is why I come here to this forum. Don't get me wrong--  I am taking everything you are telling me into consideration, especially moving forward.  Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032
(02-06-2019, 02:28 AM)Mika Wrote: Like you, I never had much interest in the paranormal, for 30 some odd years of my life.  And as a person of faith, sure… demons, and the ability of the souls of those who have passed to touch the living, are a part of Christianity.  I just never thought I would meet one.  Then, one day, a spirit decided to attach itself to me.

Now, you made a number of mistakes and someone here will eventually point them out to you, so it might as well be me.  Please take everything I say knowing I mean them with kindness.  And right off the bat I want say, providing you haven’t left out any salient details, don’t be scared.  Just be creeped out.

First off, there could be number of reasons why you might hear knocking in a house.  And there are countless cases of electronics catching radio signals they weren’t intended to catch.  Always look for a rational explanation before looking for paranormal ones.  My television used to turn on and off on it’s own and I asked my father and he told me one of the batteries in the remote was likely almost dead.  Once I replaced the batteries, everything was fine.

Secondly, do not go to graveyards or places rumored to be haunted with the intention of seeking out ghosts.  Spirits can become attached to people and follow them home.  I worked as a server in a sports bar which I believe the spirits of two young children frequented and, while the vast majority of my experiences happened there, they sometimes followed me home. 

It’s a long story.  Feel free to ask me about it.

Get rid of the Ouija board.  For one thing, it’s a parlor game.  That doesn’t mean you can’t talk to some form of other worldly entity through them.  You can do that any number of ways, including speaking out loud, as your experiences seem to show.  It just likely won’t be the friendly kind.  General rule of thumb… benevolent spirits reach out to those among the living they have an affection for.  Dangerous ones prey on strangers and those who show some form of weakness.  If you don’t really believe in demons, it’s that much easier for them to trick you into inviting them into your life.  That would be your 'weakness.'  

This is a key point.  Do not, in any way, invite whatever this is into your life.  Right now you may have its attention.  But… and again, I speak only from my Christian perspective… demons can’t so much as touch the physical world without actually possessing a human.  You should be safe.  Just ignore the thing until it loses interest.    

Now, I’m not an expert on the paranormal.  Anyone who claims to be is a charlatan.  All anyone knows is what they’ve personally experienced and anecdotal accounts from others.  I can tell you that, from a psychological perspective, it’s perfectly natural to have dreams regarding things currently weighing on your mind.  I can also tell you that stress and sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations, including audio ones.  If you’re too frightened to sleep in the bedroom, sleep on the couch until your husband gets home.

This is in no way a complete addressing of everything in your post, which is quite long, but mine is getting quite long as well and I wanted to cover some of the basics.  Hopefully, others will add in.

As to the question of anyone else experiencing something similar?  I have.  Luckily for me, the spirits seem to have been just the mischievous kind.  Almost like they were playing friendly little games with me.  The experience, while it lasted a year, eventually ended.  I also wasn't a believer in the paranormal until one day, I was.  You're not alone.

Blue Cat

Thank you Mika for your response. 

I appreciate you educating me on some of this paranormal stuff. It is all new to me and honestly I am in disbelief about what has started happening in my house recently, however, I have to believe and understand that it isn't explainable at this point and should expect the unexpected. At times I do feel a presence of sorts in a room I am in-- hard to explain. 

Can you explain what you meant when you said you had a spirit attach to you? I feel like if this is indeed a spirit, she mostly communicates with me and I feel her presence around the house constantly. 

As I mentioned to UglyNRude, I have ruled out things such as electronics, vents, pipes, etc., and have also used 2 different recorders at the same time in the same room, and got the same response/recording. The knocks can be quite loud and sometimes sound like pounds--  all mostly while (or just after) communicating.

Thanks!
I’m happy to be of some use.  Do keep in mind, however, that it was just two years ago that I was where you are, so my knowledge is limited.  Anything beyond the scope of human souls and demons… like so-called ‘energy vampires’ or forest faeries… I only know the myths and lore.

On to yr question.

My phrasing was poor in my original post.  It should have read ‘became attached to me.’  With no prodding on my own, no interest in the paranormal at all, and no knowledge of their existence, they reached out to me with friendly gestures.  I can give you examples, if you like, but this isn’t supposed to be about me.

It seems to be the general (secular) consensus that the typical ‘ghost’ is generally tied to a place or an object.  What they ‘haunt’ can be as small as a locket or as large as a prison.  They don’t move from town to town, searching for someone new to scare.  So no, they can’t attach to a specific person.  However, from what you’ve told me, you seem to be the only member of yr family actively seeking them out.  It’s hardly a surprise they mainly talk to the person who isn’t giving them the cold shoulder.

You say you don’t feel threatened by whatever this is.  So long as that is true, I maintain the best thing for you to do is to ignore it.  Instead, peruse the personal accounts here… in the ghost forum or the angel and demon forum.  We even have an EVP forum.   

Here’s a link to a re-telling of my own story.  It’s quite long, so for yr purposes, I would read chapters 3 and 5.  Of course, feel free to read the whole thing.

http://www.talkparanormal.com/thread-23605.html

Blueud
[img][Image: SignatureToday2_zpsb40bf612.jpg][/img]
Just adding a few more thoughts on the matter. Whether or not ghosts exists, the issue is that you are now feeling unsettled at night and you need to get a good night's sleep.   Owl Eyes

I was taught that before embarking on any activities to with the paranormal, it is advisable to be mentally prepared. This means cleansing, by prayer according to one's religious belief, meditation or some form of mental discipline to shield and ask for protection. After the activity, a person should also cleanse again. It is important to free the mind of fears so as not to be troubled by any lingering aftereffects.

If it's not some electronic anomaly or building sounds, the voices and knocks could mean that something is trying to get your attention. As Mika has advised, maybe you should put away the Ouija Board and the Spirit Box too. An attachment refers to an entity that has 'followed' you and is making itself known to you. Some people believe, from their experiences, OBs and Spirit boxes can result in accidentally opening portals between realities or inviting unwanted attention. I suppose it's like giving permission and 'inviting' the unknown (and perhaps unwanted) to come and visit. Even if the problem is only in your mind, it can still be disturbing.

Do set some definite boundaries for whatever it is that is happening. I usually speak aloud in a firm voice or form a clear thought in my mind: I'd like to be left in peace, thank you. If you feel that someone is there and wanting help, you can wish them well and tell them they are free to move on from this world. Or you can say a prayer for them if that feels right for you.

My family has a few generations' worth of experiences with paranormal happenings. Not all of them could be easily explained away. But we were always taught to be respectful, be careful and avoid looking for trouble.

Do take care. Stay safe.
There's life...and then there's the afterlife.