Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to create your own ghost pictures
We all see the thousands of ghost pictures on the internet and wonder if any of them are real. While there are some great looking pictures most are wrong camera settings, that create unknown experiences.

Then we have the picture of something that shows up strange but can be explained it you look at the area you took a picture of from a different angle or in the daylight.

Now we have just plain faked ghost pictures. With computers this is very easy to do. Even easier with the I-phone fake ghost apps.

Now we have ghost the old ghost pictures, these are harder to debunk as we don't have the information available. But even these are being debunked a little at a time. Double exposures, reusing plates.

Now we have a handful of pictures left that may be ghosts for now. Will someone come forward and admit yet another hoax?

Here we have a bunch of fake pictures that if you study them may make you better at spotting fake picture or show you how to create your own.

http://ghoststudy.com/main/fakepage.html
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
This is an excellent reference point as far as those of us that are still learning to spot fakes.

I guess I would like to see a few examples (if possible) of the pictures that are still not determined to be fakes. I would like to see what it is that makes them different.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Yuh what SG said.... waits for the hand full of pics yet to be debunked
The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.

- Kahlil Gibran
Thanks for the info UNR. I do have one question though, how can someone use a wrong camera setting when we aren't even positive that the phenomena is real?
(06-27-2010, 05:28 PM)howoldami Wrote: Thanks for the info UNR. I do have one question though, how can someone use a wrong camera setting when we aren't even positive that the phenomena is real?

Its easy to use a wrong camera setting. your iso for example in low light or darkness should be 400 or higher like 800, to 1600 if you have over a 12 mega pixel camera. You can use a 100 iso only if your shooting off a tripod in these conditions. If you aren't you'll get a longer shutter and movement. You can also have your camera on automatic which causes your camera to struggle focusing in the low light and will give a blur.

Now with the right iso you still need to have the correct shutter speed or once again you will get movement and brighter objects will appear to be moving. I suggest setting your camera to manual and adjust it, for the average distance you'll be shooting and keep it there.

Shutter speeds, you can’t expect great shots when your shutter is open 2 seconds or longer.
1/8000 will stop any motion
1/4000 high enough speed to take pictures while walking
1/2000 will stop most motion
1/1000 will stop bicyclists and runners
1/500 will freeze a person jumping in the air
1/250 will stop some motion
1/125 to avoid camera shake
Speeds that blur motion. Use a tripod for these speeds.
1/60 slight blurring of motion
1/30 very good speed to show a bit of blur when photographing dancers
1/15 the blurring of motion becomes clearly evident
1/8 the blurring motion becomes more pronounced
1/4 the blurring of motion becomes extreme
1/2 high speed motion begins to become invisible

This is when you start seeing see-thru figures

1 medium speed motion begins to become invisible
2 all motion begins to become invisible
4 more motion begins to become invisible
8 motion develops a fog like quality
B this one allows you to keep the shutter open as long as you want

Camera movement, this is a huge problem with paranormal photographers. At night when your camera is set wrong you must listen closely to make sure your shutter opens and closes. Just because the flash goes off doesn’t mean the picture is done. Your shutter may remain open and when you move you add shadows and strange blurs to your shot.

Dust or moisture, when dust or moisture is present expect to capture orbs. These aren’t paranormal and have been shown you can eliminate them by moving your flash further from your lens. Or by adding a shroud around the outside of your lens.

EXIF Information, digital cameras have what is called EXIF information on every picture. If you have pictures not turning out then check your EXIF this will give you the settings you are using. Experiment with your camera and when you find EXIF settings that are perfect write them down and use them all the time.

By following a few small suggestions you can take better paranormal shots. Also now if you catch something then we will be more apt to believe it when you have the correct settings.

Hope this helps.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Wow! Thanks a bunch for writing all that out! I was actually going to make a thread asking about this info, but I think you pretty much answered all my questions.

I guess I only have one other question. I have a 7.2 megapixel Sony DSC-W80 camera. It's the only thing I have (working) right now, but it does have adjustable ISO settings. Is this camera even really worth trying to capture anything on? Or should I hold out until I can get something better?
(06-27-2010, 06:02 PM)howoldami Wrote: Wow! Thanks a bunch for writing all that out! I was actually going to make a thread asking about this info, but I think you pretty much answered all my questions.

I guess I only have one other question. I have a 7.2 megapixel Sony DSC-W80 camera. It's the only thing I have (working) right now, but it does have adjustable ISO settings. Is this camera even really worth trying to capture anything on? Or should I hold out until I can get something better?

Just set it at its highest mp setting with the iso at 400 if you have an adjustable flash set it at the highest setting as well.
Much thanks again, this is great info!
(06-27-2010, 05:49 PM)UglyNRude Wrote:
(06-27-2010, 05:28 PM)howoldami Wrote: Thanks for the info UNR. I do have one question though, how can someone use a wrong camera setting when we aren't even positive that the phenomena is real?

Its easy to use a wrong camera setting. your iso for example in low light or darkness should be 400 or higher like 800, to 1600 if you have over a 12 mega pixel camera. You can use a 100 iso only if your shooting off a tripod in these conditions. If you aren't you'll get a longer shutter and movement. You can also have your camera on automatic which causes your camera to struggle focusing in the low light and will give a blur.

Now with the right iso you still need to have the correct shutter speed or once again you will get movement and brighter objects will appear to be moving. I suggest setting your camera to manual and adjust it, for the average distance you'll be shooting and keep it there.

Shutter speeds, you can’t expect great shots when your shutter is open 2 seconds or longer.
1/8000 will stop any motion
1/4000 high enough speed to take pictures while walking
1/2000 will stop most motion
1/1000 will stop bicyclists and runners
1/500 will freeze a person jumping in the air
1/250 will stop some motion
1/125 to avoid camera shake
Speeds that blur motion. Use a tripod for these speeds.
1/60 slight blurring of motion
1/30 very good speed to show a bit of blur when photographing dancers
1/15 the blurring of motion becomes clearly evident
1/8 the blurring motion becomes more pronounced
1/4 the blurring of motion becomes extreme
1/2 high speed motion begins to become invisible

This is when you start seeing see-thru figures

1 medium speed motion begins to become invisible
2 all motion begins to become invisible
4 more motion begins to become invisible
8 motion develops a fog like quality
B this one allows you to keep the shutter open as long as you want

Camera movement, this is a huge problem with paranormal photographers. At night when your camera is set wrong you must listen closely to make sure your shutter opens and closes. Just because the flash goes off doesn’t mean the picture is done. Your shutter may remain open and when you move you add shadows and strange blurs to your shot.

Dust or moisture, when dust or moisture is present expect to capture orbs. These aren’t paranormal and have been shown you can eliminate them by moving your flash further from your lens. Or by adding a shroud around the outside of your lens.

EXIF Information, digital cameras have what is called EXIF information on every picture. If you have pictures not turning out then check your EXIF this will give you the settings you are using. Experiment with your camera and when you find EXIF settings that are perfect write them down and use them all the time.

By following a few small suggestions you can take better paranormal shots. Also now if you catch something then we will be more apt to believe it when you have the correct settings.

Hope this helps.

UNR,

Aren't there Infrared devices you can attach to a camera? What about devices that gather light over extended periods of time? Would you consider these useful?

jeff
Forgiveness is next to deity.