Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Serial Killers that were Satanists?
01-19-2010, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2010 09:12 AM by Fiona.)
Serial Killers that were Satanists?
I'm not sure if this is in the correct section?

I came across some cases of serial killers online recently. These killers were self-proclaimed Satanists.

Here are some more well known cases:

*July 197O - Steven Hurd and four other California Satanists are charged with two murders involving ritual dismemberment and cannibalism. Hurd is declared insane and remains in a state hospital "his accomplices are duly convicted and sentenced."

*April 1981 - Self-styled Satanist Kimberly Goytia, age 13, is convicted of manslaughter for the shooting death of her sister in Sacramento, California. She informs police that Satan orderd her to fire the fatal shot

*May 1996 - Three teenage Satanists in San Louis Obispo, California, are charged with raping, torturing and murdering 15 year old Elyse Pahler. Prosecutors say the defendants hoped a virgin sacrifice would earn them "a ticket to hell."

Do you think that in most cases, the people who committed this crimes were just unbalanced, mentally ill people in the first place - and that led them to Satanism? I did notice that quite a few cases I came across, the individuals who commited the crime ended up in mental institutions. But there was always a line that was easy to cross in my eyes: symptoms of demonic possession/oppression could often be similar to mental illness.

Do you think that Satanism alone could provoke an individual to commit such awful crimes?
It's like the old saying....What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I'd like to ask people here (like Jophiel) who have had experiences of the demonic, do you think these dark entities really do influence people in this way, or is it usually a more subtle form of oppression in order to destroy people's faith?

Would love to know your thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
RE: Serial Killers that were Satanists?
First, I think there needs to be established that there is a HUGE difference between devil worship and Satanism. Satanism is an "anti-religion" (my words not theirs) that instead of worshiping a deity and denying self and desire in the hopes of eternal salvation, promotes greed and worship of self. They identify with Satan as Satan literally translates to "adversary".

Devil worshipers are quite different. They believe in God in the biblical sense and instead choose to align themselves with his antithesis (for whatever reason).

That said, I think that these people are just mentally disturbed and that "Satan" has very little to do with it. I think that is almost every case where a person who has committed some grievous act, that the easy answer is to simply say "the devil made me do it". In cases of severe mental instability, "evil" inclinations or even evil "voices" are most easily blamed on the devil because he is the "poster boy" for evil. It's like people who hear disembodies voices blaming them on aliens or the government beaming thoughts into their heads.

I think if you were to sample cases from non-christian societies you would find that the evil being blamed for the thoughts would fit the beliefs of the society.

Firefly-Star Wars, if Han Solo had been the main character and he'd still shot Greedo first.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Browncoat, im glad you cleared that up, as i remember a couple of months ago there was a thread on satanism. I learned a lot from that thread.

I also agree that there are many unstable people in this world, and they use satan as an excuse for being rotten....

I have done research over the years of people who have unstable frontal and temporal lobes in thier brains, could be from birth or some type of brain damage. This type of person has no empathy for anyone or anything. There have been experiments done on the brains of serial killers after death, many of them either had a very small frontal lobe, or severe damage to that area.

For anyone to commit such acts on another, there just has to be something wrong with thier brains.... or maybe it could be possesion of some sort.

Like Browncoat said, satanism is narsissim.. im sure i didnt spell that right.... self love to the extreme......they are there own God.

Pride and Fear always distort the truth into either a false sense of security or a lack of confidence and diminished self-worth.

Angel WIngs
01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks, K2M. Interesting that studies were done on the brains of those killers. Very telling.
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
(01-19-2010 09:46 AM)Browncoat Wrote:  First, I think there needs to be established that there is a HUGE difference between devil worship and Satanism. Satanism is an "anti-religion" (my words not theirs) that instead of worshiping a deity and denying self and desire in the hopes of eternal salvation, promotes greed and worship of self. They identify with Satan as Satan literally translates to "adversary".

Devil worshipers are quite different. They believe in God in the biblical sense and instead choose to align themselves with his antithesis (for whatever reason).

That said, I think that these people are just mentally disturbed and that "Satan" has very little to do with it. I think that is almost every case where a person who has committed some grievous act, that the easy answer is to simply say "the devil made me do it". In cases of severe mental instability, "evil" inclinations or even evil "voices" are most easily blamed on the devil because he is the "poster boy" for evil. It's like people who hear disembodies voices blaming them on aliens or the government beaming thoughts into their heads.

I think if you were to sample cases from non-christian societies you would find that the evil being blamed for the thoughts would fit the beliefs of the society.

Let's please keep in mind that there are three flavors of satanism, and one of them really does worship the devil.

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried" - G.K.Chesterson

"Perhaps your god does not answer because he is relieving himself" - Elija
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
(01-19-2010 11:23 AM)K2M Wrote:  Browncoat, im glad you cleared that up, as i remember a couple of months ago there was a thread on satanism. I learned a lot from that thread.

Here is that thread:

http://www.trueghosttales.com/paranormal...-satanism/

~ Questioning the answers is much more important than answering the questions ~

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey ~^*White face*^~ Did Giants Once Walk the Earth?
01-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Whether its mental illness or not , to them its real . Because science cant quantify "evil" or a demon or any spirit for that matter they brand it as mentally ill. Not saying that either one is wrong , but having sat in involuntary commitment hearings I have sometimes wondered which ones were truly demon plauged and which ones were just sick.

http://www.myspace.com/relicrip
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
(01-19-2010 11:30 AM)Jophiel Wrote:  Let's please keep in mind that there are three flavors of satanism, and one of them really does worship the devil.

Under a brod definition of Satanism there are many flavors. However, most groups that actually worship "the devil" have different names for their groups. The only groups that goes by the name "Satanism" or 'Church of Satan" are in direct ways related to the teachings of Anton LaVey.

Other "satanistic" groups include: Luciferianism (which really still seems to go with lucifer as an idea rather than as a honest to god entity), Palladists (which may or may not exist), The Temple of Set (which is an offshoot of unhappy LaVey followers), Order of Nine Angels (which seems to be defunct at the moment), etc [all of which can be found easily on something like wikipedia] which under a broad definition could be considered satanism. However most usages of the word Satanism refer to or imply LaVey Satanism and not devil worship.

Firefly-Star Wars, if Han Solo had been the main character and he'd still shot Greedo first.
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey Browncoat, just wanted to say that I agree on every account with what you said about this particular subject. Personally, I believe that there are people who are just born "bad"...and I also believe that that evil returns as evil and good returns as good...that eternal balance thing.

Blaming what I believe to be a non-existent entity is the perfect example of the prevalence of how the people of this society refuse to take any responsibility for anything they do. I see more and more news stories about kids who are murderous, heartless, and just down right evil. This society wants to treat such people with "kid gloves"...I say if they do an adult crime then they should get an adult punishment.

(01-19-2010 09:46 AM)Browncoat Wrote:  First, I think there needs to be established that there is a HUGE difference between devil worship and Satanism. Satanism is an "anti-religion" (my words not theirs) that instead of worshiping a deity and denying self and desire in the hopes of eternal salvation, promotes greed and worship of self. They identify with Satan as Satan literally translates to "adversary".

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government...So, let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
"God told me to skin you alive!" (opening line to "I Kill Children-Dead Kennedy's)
What it really comes down to is disturbed people + ANY type of religious/cult fanaticism = Big trouble.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  serial killers, are they possessed by demons? Tina Evelina 43 12,019 06-24-2014 10:05 AM
Last Post: MrsMultiTasker