Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need advice for being new to EVP collection
I have an old Olympus voice recorder that I have had since I was in college for several years now, it didn't save to wav files and I had to manually record it into audacity while playing on the recorder simultaneously to get the sessions transferred over. Last week I bought a Tascam voice recorder, it saves audio files as a wav file, has realtime playback when headphones are plugged in, and has 2 mics for stereo (my old Olympus only has one mic for mono recording).

from what I have had a few psychically inclined friends tell me, I have 6 spirits that live with me so I don't have to actually go to a location that is haunted, though I will do that eventually.

Any advice you can give me would be great! Thanks!
First know that tascam receives and produces RF along with all digital recorders. You need to also be aware of gsm interference from cell phones. When doing evp work locate all radio towers near you. http://www.antennasearch.com/
Now one word evp's toss them out. When doing evp work run multiple video cameras so you can look for causes of noise including a camera watching the outside. Plan on long hours reviewing video to find the source of sounds. The use of timestamps are helpful.
While I could go on and on I will suggest a page that may help you.
http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/...20EVP.html
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
A good article about EVP
http://theconversation.com/hearing-ghost...tion-48160
So the mics in the tascam are just a higher quality than the ones you find in a cheap $40 one like my Olympus was?

I know lots of people say you should clean up the file with the audio software out there, but like the first article you shared says, i have read it is better to leave the audio file as is for actual proof, as it could be "manipulated/distorted" by using the software. I am more inclined to use the software just to look at the waveform and see if there is any in the silence and clip those spots. It also sounds like it is too much work to enhance and edit out the noise.
Also, and I hate to be a downer, but our brains are designed to make sense of what we are experiencing, based on our expectations and knowledge.  If you believe there are ghosts in yr house and are actively looking for them, chances are, you will ‘find’ them.

I’m not saying there aren’t spirits of some sort in yr house.  I’m just saying that if you 'find' something in yr recordings, take a step back and think about whether or not it’s just a random set of noises that you might be unconsciously interpreting as words.

Icontexto-emoticons-07-032x032
[img][Image: SignatureToday2_zpsb40bf612.jpg][/img]
(04-21-2019, 10:39 AM)Soapstone Wrote: So the mics in the tascam are just a higher quality than the ones you find in a cheap $40 one like my Olympus was?

I know lots of people say you should clean up the file with the audio software out there, but like the first article you shared says, i have read it is better to leave the audio file as is for actual proof, as it could be "manipulated/distorted" by using the software. I am more inclined to use the software just to look at the waveform and see if there is any in the silence and clip those spots. It also sounds like it is too much work to enhance and edit out the noise.

I would not suggest "looking for audio in the silent areas of waveform".....I tried that a few times when I first started. Wish I never did. It took me about 10 days to get my fist EVP. I would listen to the full recording (should only record like maximum 3 minutes so not get tired or lose interest during playback - do multiple sessions is fine). After awhile I tried to just skim over and look for peaks in the silent area on my PC. So I would quickly delete that session if nothing showed "visually". I've found not much later that MOST of your EVP's will be in those "visually silent" areas!! And in fact those voices would be quite loud sometimes, and still not show a spike in the audio waveform. *ALWAYS keep an original copy of your recording....just copy/duplicate it for attempts to enhance (you always want an original). Less is more when it comes to enhancements.  If you can't truly hear it...just move on to another. Maybe save it to a folder of 'what if's" or something. Go back to them later after your ears LEARN better listening abilities.  Have Fun.
As for recorders....I have 4 DR60's (2 - I use) One of the 4 is the later model "fixed" by Panasonic and does not detect EVP well. I've given up on that one....and I have one purchased that does not work (by serial number - would have been a good one}. Very GOOD recorders that are much cheaper and always work for me are the Sony ICD B300 and the Sony ICD-B7 recorders (both work just as well). I wouldn't pay more than $30 for either of these Sony recorders on eBay (with free shipping) cause you just shouldn't have too. They are priceless for EVP research tho. I have many, many other recorders that I check out or use in 2 recorder testings (looking for a duel EVP pickup). I haven't recorded in a few years now. It is a lot slower worldwide....but I want to get motivated again. *I used to record every day at least once per day for 3 - 4 years. I have a lot of good EVP's and have had answers given and copy my phrases when asked. My name has been spoken to me a few times. That was "spooky" at first ;-)