Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerned about 6 yr old son
Normally, i would not think anything of it when someone talks in their sleep.  The other night, though, the way my son sounded and his recent changes in his behavior, has inspired me to post here and seek input in the event my suspicions are correct.  

I was sleeping in the next room on the couch which was about 20' away from my sons bed.  I awoke as i had nodded off watching t.v. (i had the tv muted reading captions).  Before i moved to get up, my son says rather loudly "hello?," and 4-5 seconds later, "hello?"  I peek in, no movement.  I thought "well that's wierd," but wasn't thinking beyond getting myself back to sleep.
The next morning on the way to school i asked if he had any dreams and "no" he could not recall any dreams.

I know that we dream and do not always remember them. Its the way he said "hello.  The tone and urgency was "not him."  He also has been a little preoccupied and less loving since that night.  Add to the fact that since living here, i have had several strange experiences which i repeatedly dismissed but over time, these occurrences have led me to believe this house has something going on about it that i cannot explain.  This includes knocking on the walls, lights on when i get home that i know i turned off, hearing voices very indistinctly, footsteps heard and no one is there,  items banging on counter, brushes against my pants and light "touches" on the skin. Thats the most of it. 

He is visiting with his mother this weekend.  I havent heard anything from her regarding different behavior.  He IS growing up more, and fast, so that could be it.  Just to play it safe, is there anything i should do to ensure that if this place is the "problem," it can be rid of whatever might be the cause prior to him coming home?
First off, acting on something, when you aren't sure, is a sure-fire way to draw attention and attract the very things you're trying to avoid. If it wasn't the problem, it could quickly become the problem.

To answer the events of your son, I will offer my own experience. My brother is 3 years younger than me. Once, in high school, he and I were home alone one night. I took the time to game, as I would be able to without being bothered. My brother decided to fall asleep in his room. At some point, I heard a tapping coming from my closet. I checked it out, nothing was in there, but the tapping was still there. It sounded like something was tapping on metal.

I opened my door, and heard it coming from my brother's room, along with a collection of mutterings. Quietly walking to his open door, I peeked inside. There he was, dead asleep. However, after a few seconds, he began to mutter unintelligibly. Not tongues or anything. Literally, gibberish. After his muttering, he would harshly grind his teeth. You could hear the enamel creaking. While he ground his teeth, he took his fist and put it up against the metal of his bunk bed. With a solitary index finger, he tapped it in a spindly manner.

After that, I went back to my room and slept with a knife under my bed. I expected him to walk in and watch me sleep, grinding his teeth. That never happened. After that night, that never happened again. He now lives with his fiance, and he hasn't seen my brother do anything of the like either.

Moral of the story: Best left alone, things can work themselves out harmlessly, or just pass on without staying too long in your home.

Remember, you can set precedent for these types of things to occur, the more in depth you search.
(02-19-2018, 12:16 AM)KaelisRa Wrote: First off, acting on something, when you aren't sure, is a sure-fire way to draw attention and attract the very things you're trying to avoid. If it wasn't the problem, it could quickly become the problem.

To answer the events of your son, I will offer my own experience. My brother is 3 years younger than me. Once, in high school, he and I were home alone one night. I took the time to game, as I would be able to without being bothered. My brother decided to fall asleep in his room. At some point, I heard a tapping coming from my closet. I checked it out, nothing was in there, but the tapping was still there. It sounded like something was tapping on metal.

I opened my door, and heard it coming from my brother's room, along with a collection of mutterings. Quietly walking to his open door, I peeked inside. There he was, dead asleep. However, after a few seconds, he began to mutter unintelligibly. Not tongues or anything. Literally, gibberish. After his muttering, he would harshly grind his teeth. You could hear the enamel creaking. While he ground his teeth, he took his fist and put it up against the metal of his bunk bed. With a solitary index finger, he tapped it in a spindly manner.

After that, I went back to my room and slept with a knife under my bed. I expected him to walk in and watch me sleep, grinding his teeth. That never happened. After that night, that never happened again. He now lives with his fiance, and he hasn't seen my brother do anything of the like either.

Moral of the story: Best left alone, things can work themselves out harmlessly, or just pass on without staying too long in your home.

Remember, you can set precedent for these types of things to occur, the more in depth you search.

I understand your train of thought.  I have pretty much done as you said up to this point, i've ignored all the things i mentioned above.  The inspiration behind my posting, was the sum of it all and the fact that my child might be involved.  As a parent, that possibility put me on high alert.  From what ive read somewhere, there's another approach that recommends "cleansing" or "ridding" one's home of bad things.  I would not think that would "attract more of what i want to avoid," or would it?  If a procedure of some sort would be effective, why would i not want to do it, whatever that might entail?  In other aspects of my life, i take preventative measures so why not do "something" now, especially since this might protect my child?
Have to love the jump to paranormal conclusion. I also love the fact you come to a paranormal forum to seek help instead of talking to a doctor. Parenting 101
   Many people talk in their sleep. Half of all kids between the ages of 3 and 10 years old carry on conversations while asleep, and a small number of adults -- about 5% -- keep chit-chatting after they go to bed. The utterances can take place occasionally or every night. A 2004 poll showed that more than 1 in 10 young children converse in their sleep more than a few nights a week.
https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ta...ur-sleep#1
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
If peace of mind is all you're looking for, just burn some sage and cleanse the house. You can buy sage online and there are instructions on how to properly cleanse your house with a quick Google search. 

While I do agree with UnR it is probably sleeping talking, it could also become night terrors if he gets more dramatic in his sleep. It sounds much more like sleep talking at this point with what you have explained, but sleeptalking can be associated with sleep terrors here's an article in case it get's worse just so you have an idea. 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...c-20353524
and here's one explaining children's sleeping problems.
http://www.sleepforkids.org/html/problems.html

You may want to even get a sleep study for your son if the problem persists.

Best Wishes
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

@UnR;
So, the first line there was duly uncalled for, bud. This is what I mean, when I make mention of people coming on here for help and then getting blind-sided by things like implications of "you're a bad parent". If they were a bad parent, their concern to cover all bases would be lacking. As much as you would LOVE science to be the only thing here to exist, that isn't the proven case. Thus, you can't make flippant comments like "Have to love the jump to paranormal conclusion". By the sound of things, it wasn't a simple jump. This had been going on for a while, and only when it involved his son did he decide to take it seriously.

Also: "Note: half of all kids between the ages of 3 and 10 years old carry on conversations while asleep." Alone? With their parents? With other people in the room? Everyone in the scientific community is so keen on pushing their narrative, they refuse to answer that question with its many possibilities. You know what else they refuse to make clear? The logical implication of a "poll" and a "study", in relation to the claim "half of all kids between the ages of 3 and 10".

That means that ALL people were polled, and half of the kids in that age range confirmed sleep talking. Reality check: ALL people were not polled, it was a massive extrapolation, on hearsay no less. Even if a study was performed to obtain first-hand evidence, it would have been over a relatively small sample, relative to "ALL", and another massive extrapolation would have been implemented, diluting the data (yet again).

Bad science is bad.

@Aboom;
Put a bit more nicely, I agree with the possibility of some type of parasomnia at play. As recommended, you could go get a sleep study done. It wouldn't hurt. At its worst, it would cross a possibility off the list.
It also could very well be a peace of mind scenario, as Chevleia has put it. However, as a warning from my friend, given to me: Once you delve into that world, it will follow you around. There's something to be said about a person's attitude toward things like the supernatural. If you're as jaded as UnR, there would be very little to achieve for a pesky spirit. However, if you show a bit of interest, you have a better chance of getting something to latch on. Before resorting to things that put you on the radar, best go do the sleep study first.
(02-19-2018, 12:04 PM)KaelisRa Wrote: Also: "Note: half of all kids between the ages of 3 and 10 years old carry on conversations while asleep." Alone? With their parents? With other people in the room? Everyone in the scientific community is so keen on pushing their narrative, they refuse to answer that question with its many possibilities. You know what else they refuse to make clear? The logical implication of a "poll" and a "study", in relation to the claim "half of all kids between the ages of 3 and 10".

I'm sure they mean they carry on conversations in their sleep, as in whatever they're dreaming. Anyway, I agree with everything else said in your reply and I can understand why you care about formal semantics but many people see poll and study and see the same thing. Perhaps of laziness by themselves and the scientists conducting the poll - or study - as well.
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

True, but it's the importance of communicating a poll's results or study's findings, as if speaking them to people that don't have the capacity to draw logical connections. By and large, science likes to throw its weight around as a credible source. Without properly explaining the limitations of their evidence, they are leaving it to the general public to come to their own assumptions as to what the study includes. That's dangerous, as people who aren't privy to the data can use it to justify terrible things. We see it a lot in the circles of the superstitious, it is also present in the world of science.

The problem is, scientists are afraid that if they make overt claims, that their careers can end as quickly as it takes a study, that refutes their's, to be conducted. Better to be ambiguous and let the people make their own assumptions (which goes against the purpose of science) than it is to put yourself at risk. The system is so broken...
My wife wakes randomly at night and talks like she's another person. Most of the time can't remember her dreams but when she does, then her phrases she says make sense according to the topic of her dream. I don't think there's anything paranormal here.
[Image: space.gif]
I dont see where its saying "poll"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I be concerned? InformalKnight 5 590 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Last Post: InformalKnight