Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does Hell Exist?
Does Hell exist?  Or is it just a metaphorical tool used by religion to convince people to behave in a certain way?

I'm sure most of you understand the traditional Christian/Jewish.  The Hindu/Buddhist concept of Hell is not much different, simply more graphic.  Perhaps you even know the Muslim one, which is kinda like the Christian Purgatory.  

Incidentally, shout out to my Muslim friends for not feeling the need to condemn sinners to everlasting pain and suffering  ; )

And as to my Atheist and Agnostic friends, I'm assuming yr going with Sartre.  Hell is other people.

I have my own opinions on the matter, but I fear I might color the discussion if I shared them at the beginning.  I'm not looking for people to agree with me, or to try to disprove me... I just like to talk about these things.  If you think Hell is real, I want to know why.  If you think not, I want to know why. If you have questions, we all want to hear them.

I enjoy open discussion.  Anyone gonna take me up?

8 D
[Image: Newest%20Signature_zpsegrtkw8d.jpg]
I would be more than happy to take you up on discussion. *Big surprise!* I know xD.

First, here's a pretty cool video to watch on the subject.

I think it's a little arrogant of us as humans to believe there is an entire other realm specifically meant to either torture or give pleasure to us. Personally, I lean more towards reincarnation just because it sounds slightly more logical than a place filled with fire, but that's an entirely different conversation :- )
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

What Hell you taking about? The imaginary one? or the one in Michigan? The one in Michigan is a fun place with the gates of hell, the damn site inn and screamers. A great place to get married, lots of great mountain bike trails, and the annual hearse fest and of course you can be the mayor of hell.

Why do they call it hell Michigan?
Their comments were overheard by some locals and the name stuck. Soon after Michigan gained statehood, George Reeves was asked what he thought the town he helped settle should be called and replied, "I don't care, you can name it Hell for all I care." The name became official on October 13, 1841.
https://www.gotohellmi.com/
I dont know if there is a Hell in Michigan but there is a Hell for Certain in Ky! Smile

Hell for Certain, Kentucky

Hell for Certain is an unincorporated community in Leslie County, Kentucky, United States. The unincorporated town of Dryhill, (37.1546° North, 83.4157° West), is the proper name of Hell for Certain, located 7 miles (11 km) north of the small town of Hyden. Dryhill became known by this name because it is located near Hell ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_for_C...,_Kentucky

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
I like that guy, KaelisRa.  He reminds me of a Methodist Minister I used to know.

Yr name, on the other hand... not so much.  I have to page back to figure out how to spell it and which letters should be capitalized.  Way to make my life complicated...  ; )

Mika... plain, simple, easy  8 D
Just make up a name Smile
As far as I understand there is a hell but it is not some place, nor are souls sent there.
It is a state of being and souls end up there out of their own decisions and actions.

A person, who  deadens their conscience, makes themselves not knowledgeable of ' suffering.
Note: consciousness is having awareness PLUS knowledge.
So in deadening their conscience, they don't care to know, so that they can do harm and have no conscience about it.

This has an effect on the soul because the soul is a conscious being. Thus there is knowledge and awareness. If the knowledge is reduced then the consciousness is reduced. This means that they move towards oblivion. And as the soul is eternal, they end up in eternal oblivion, which is, in part at least, hell. So they put themselves there by their actions, i.e., deadening their conscience and doing harm to others.
Okies, time to weigh in with my historical arguments.  It won't answer the question I posed, except to say "Yes and no and maybe."

I'm bothersome that way  ; )

There was a valley bordering Jerusalem.  I assume it's still there and set to an other purpose, but in the times when people worships a god named Moloch, and parents would sometimes make a sacrifice of their sons and daughters to this god by burning them alive in this valley. 

Later on, the Jews of Jerusalem used this valley as a sort of garbage pit.  And sewer system... it's where they emptied their chamber pots, so to speak.  Dung is highly flammable once dried, as are other kinds of garbage, so it would often catch fire in such scorching heat.

Now, here's the sad part.  No one wanted lepers in the city, for what I assume were perfectly rational reasons, give the state of medical science at the time.  So the lepers, as well as other sick people and undesirables, lived in this valley.  Think of the modern day homeless tent-towns that spring up under highway overpasses because they have nowhere else to go.  They could die from exposure in the desert or live in filth and constant fear of an outbreak of fire.

What was the name of this valley?  Gehenna.  Later translated as Hell.

When someone commited a crime so serious that they were banished from the city, they were sent to Gehenna.  Leprosy was considered a visual symptom of the defilement of sin, so lepers were sent to Gehenna.  So, yes... Hell did exist and was a place of suffering and torment and flame.  

I feel there's a good argument to be made that the peeps who wrote the bible turned the reality of Gehenna into something spiritual as a sort of cautionary tale.  Back then, Judaism was still competing with other religions and some 'scare tactics' might have been in order.  And that isn't a criticism... the religions they were competing with practiced human sacrifice, in many cases.  And, in the end, they were just trying to encourage people to be kind and law abiding citizens.  I don't see 'bending the truth' all that egregious a crime, under the circumstances.

None of this is saying there isn't a spiritual 'Hell' on another plane of existence.  Neither am I attributing motives the the individuals who wrote the Old Testament.  I'm just pointing out that there is a strong argument for the metaphor thing.

8 )
I think I'm inclined to agree with you, Mika. That makes the most sense, in my book. That being said, I'm also not going to discount the existence of a spiritual hell. Who knows? Maybe a conscious god oversaw the its creation after the idea was given to him by humans. Could be the best place to put people you don't want to party with for an eternity.