Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Religion vs Spirituality
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I've come up with a few distinction about either concept. To those of you following a religion, do you see a difference between either concept?

To those of you who consider yourself skeptics or science-leaning, could you see yourself understanding/living a spiritual life-style?

Personally, I don't attribute a theistic belief to a spiritual person. I think spiritualism is a way of life that prioritizes certain things over others. Also, to me, religion just seems to be too rigid and limiting for the modern person to seriously subscribe to. What do you guys think?
(11-29-2017, 07:13 PM)KaelisRa Wrote: I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I've come up with a few distinction about either concept. To those of you following a religion, do you see a difference between either concept?

To those of you who consider yourself skeptics or science-leaning, could you see yourself understanding/living a spiritual life-style?

Personally, I don't attribute a theistic belief to a spiritual person. I think spiritualism is a way of life that prioritizes certain things over others. Also, to me, religion just seems to be too rigid and limiting for the modern person to seriously subscribe to. What do you guys think?
Until recently I was a Christian for over 20 years and was very devoted, enough so that I authored some Christian books. Some things led to me questioning God sending good people to hell over not believing the right formula to salvation and other Christian requirments and I stepped away from it, and religion too, because I personally feel as if religion divides people against each other. That being said, I feel that I am spiritual because I believe in spiritual things that I have experienced and have been given enough evidence in my life by way of personal experience and interaction with God and the spiritual world. I have chosen to believe and embrace only those things that I have complete certainty of, and not assumptions or things I read about or have been told. I seek to experience and learn more as I am allowed by God. God knows my heart and knows that I am a seeker and will follow truth wherever it leads me, so I trust that He will reveal to me what I need to know as long as I keep seeking with a pure heart.
@jlitt;

It seems as if we are on the same page for what it means to be religious. You can be god-fearing without being a part of organized religion, it would seem.

However,do you then equate someone's spirituality to the quality an agent's interactions with the "spiritual world", whatever it may be?
(12-06-2017, 08:12 PM)KaelisRa Wrote: @jlitt;

It seems as if we are on the same page for what it means to be religious. You can be god-fearing without being a part of organized religion, it would seem.

However,do you then equate someone's spirituality to the quality an agent's interactions with the "spiritual world", whatever it may be?

In my opinion I think nobody can go wrong as long as they are open and are willing to embrace what has been revealed to them, whether someone choses to follow a religion or if someone tends to be more of an independent spiritual seeker. Some people may feel the need for structure and they find that a belief system or religion helps their spiritual needs. Some people like myself asks why too many of the hard questions and doesn't find satisfaction in dogmatic and binding religion that has human fingerprints all over it. I went to church for many years and going to church never one time made me feel closer to God, but I have always felt so much closer and spiritually healthy by solitude, prayer, meditation, contemplation, research, etc. I think anybody can be spiritually healthy regardless of how deep the interactions with the spiritual world are. Some people have more sensitivity to the spirit world than others, but I think God is happy with whatever any of us have, as long as we are not hindering others spiritual life or hurting other people. God has to be aware that many of us humans dont have a lot of concrete evidence to know too much about Him. Its not like many of us have spirits, angels, or God Himself coming down and answering our deep philosophical questions one on one. All we have is what seems like confusion, riddles, and a little bit of spiritual signs in our lives that God is in our lives.
I think perhaps we need to break this down into more categories.  For instance, there is a difference between religion and organized religion.  I'm a non-denominational Christian, in part, because I believe my Faith is between me and my Goddess... not between me and some intermediary.  Even within organized religion, there are no real constrictions... 90% or Catholics believe contraception is fine.  64% of Catholics do not consider homosexual acts to be sinful.  50% of Catholics support abortion rights in 'all or most cases.'  The Catholic Church is firmly against all of those, but clearly a good portion of Catholics feel the freedom to listen to the church, listen to their heart and trust in God to help them find their way to the right answer.  Religion itself isn't limiting.  It's the degree to which you place yr faith in the worldly organizations, rather than yr connection to God, that limits you.  

Just ask Jesus.  He had quite a few disagreements with the synagogues of his time  8 )

Also, I'm unclear as to what the definition of 'spirituality' is.  Sure, there are some 'religious' people who just go about the motions, say the words and stand or kneel at the proper times in church... but wouldn't anyone who actively prays or tries to organize their lives around their religious principles be considered spiritual?

My impression of what KealisRa (darnit, I was soooo close to spelling that correctly) considers 'spirituality' would be someone who follows a moral and spiritual path without the need for a deity.  A sense of being one with nature and the universe, of us all being part of a larger picture that we cannot clearly see, but we can feel.  A spiritual person of this sort might be able to find an equilibrium with the universe through meditation, or dance, or even by working to solve Fermat's Last Theorem.

Yeah, science peeps, I haven't forgotten about you... yr spiritual in yr own way and don't you forget it.  And yes... math nerds... I realize thatn Fermat's Last Theorem has been solved, but I didn't wanna cop out and do a Google search for an example, so I picked one that I remember from my high school years.

8 P

I believe in science and spirituality and consider myself a Christian.  I fail to see how any of the three are diametrically opposed to any other.  

Oh, and 'KaelisRa'... I totally gots the spelling down...  ; )
[Image: Newest%20Signature_zpsegrtkw8d.jpg]
Religion is too violent. I'll stick with spirituality since that allows me to be open minded and can apply logic to situations.
[Image: space.gif]
@jlitt;
It would seem that you agree with the idea that spirituality is an approach to life. You don't need to choose the Christian God vs the Buddha, spirituality is the vehicle by which you can approach either religion, or neither.

@Mika;
You'll get it eventually. You can always just resort to "Kae" or "Ra", if need be. I'll be fine answering to either. Tongue

Religions, by nature, are limiting. Whether organized or otherwise, they place large constrictions to the beliefs of the individual practicing them. Your examples of Catholics, in relation to contraception/homosexuals/abortion, are nice examples to make your point. However, they are not the limiting facets of religion.

What makes a religion? A specific moral system. A larger power in existence. A way to commune with the authorities of the religion, in a manner that could end up fruitful. When you pick a religion to follow, you choose the one where these 3 facets are most inline with your personal values. The reason why is because if you don't, you still have to follow these 3 facets implicitely, or you are not considered a part of that religion.
For instance: If you consider yourself a Christian, you must remain true to Christian morality, as outlined in the Bible. You must believe in the existence of and supremity of God. Lastly, you must pray, as the means by which you commune with God and develop your relationship with him. You must follow these things, or you are not a good Christian, until you do. If you resolve to never change your ways and fall in line with these facets, then you are simply not a religious Christian. You're a hypocrite.

The definition of spirituality isn't interesting. Definitions rarely are. Explanation of concepts, on the other hand, they are very interesting. @jlitt had been skirting the explanation of spirituality in prior replies. Your impression of 'my' spirituality is close, but not contingent on the existence or not of a deity. It isn't a matter of bringing in nature or the universe, either. That would be the formation of some type of religion.

To me, spirituality is removed from religion in the sense that the details don't matter. You don't need to follow the 3 facets of religion, in order to be spiritual.

Vulty made mention that spirituality allows you to be open-minded and freely apply logic. That is one of the inherent properties of spirituality, because spirituality is an approach to life. Spirituality relies on the concept of dualism and free will. The idea that there is a second facet to reality, beyond that of merely the physical universe. Within this 'non-physical' realm, free will exists. With free will, the ability to apply reason and make decisions. Have thoughts. Most importantly, there exists the ability to comprehend and understand things. When you choose to live your life with the idea that you have the freedom to apply yourself to anything material or immaterial, you live a spiritual life.

This is maintained with religion, because you are making the conscious choice to embrace a religion. The same can be found with science, as you have pointed out. When you embrace something beyond the physical, you engage in spiritualism.
Religion was used as a tool to incite fear into people back when free education wasn't available. Today, I still see that same fear because of the unknown.
True, but don't make the mistake of thinking that religion was a tool "created" for that purpose. Religion has been around a lot longer than that. I believe it was initially the way in which humanity tried to categorize the different facets of the universe. In and of itself, that is not inciting fear.
Heaven's Gate ring a bell? What about the current state of Westburo Baptist?