Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Baba Yaga
07-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Baba Yaga
Quote:Baba Yaga is a witch-like character in Slavic folklore. She flies around on a giant mortar, kidnaps (and presumably eats) small children, and lives in a house which stands on chicken feet. In most Slavic folk tales, she is portrayed as an antagonist; however, some characters in other mythological folk stories have been known to seek her out for her wisdom, and she has been known on occasion to offer guidance to lost souls, although this is seen as rare.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Please be advised that wikipedia is not a 100% reliable source of information, but the information quoted above corresponds with the lore I've heard from someone who has lived in Russia for +2 years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2009, 11:13 PM
RE: Baba Yaga
That is strange. I remember a book that my first daughter had in which there was a witch who lived in a house that stood on chicken feet. Hmmm, most likely that kids book writer took his/hers inspiration from the legend of the Baba Yaga

~ Questioning the answers is much more important than answering the questions ~

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey ~^*White face*^~ Did Giants Once Walk the Earth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2009, 11:14 PM
I am going to read more about this before I give one of my big ol' long drawn out responses.....but I will say this.........if she's as antagonistic as it seems, I'm not sure I'd want to be one of the lost souls that she would advise!

"I believe that the truth is out there but that it is rarely obvious and almost never foolproof. What I want to believe based on emotions and what I should believe based on evidence do not always coincide. I’m a skeptic not because I do not want to believe, but because I want to know."
- Michael Shermer

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
07-28-2009, 11:22 PM
It reminds me of some species of vampires in mythology.
07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I read that book a couple years ago.It terrified me but I thought I was safe because it looked like it was in a desert/hispanic setting.I personally would not like to meet her....

"These are the darkest clouds that have surrounded me"-Within Temptation
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I checked the wikipedia article and I also checked this one:

http://www.oldrussia.net/baba.html

She has quite a legendary history in Russian folklore. She is also known as Baba Yaga Kostianaya Noga, or "bony legs" as she has an unending appetite yet remains thin as a skeleton. Apparently she also has iron teeth.

She is said to live in a hut with the chicken feet described, and this hut has the power to move at will. She doesn't like people knowing what she does, and is said to sweep all of her evidence away with a silver birch broom.

She does give advice and wisdom to those pure of heart who seek it......at her discretion. It is known that you do not want to incur her wrath.

There are pictures in the article, very creepy lady. Thanks for sharing it, Jadewik.

"I believe that the truth is out there but that it is rarely obvious and almost never foolproof. What I want to believe based on emotions and what I should believe based on evidence do not always coincide. I’m a skeptic not because I do not want to believe, but because I want to know."
- Michael Shermer

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Baba Yaga is not the only a goddess stripped of her regal purpose, as she is also linked to another slavic witch called Vyed'ma, who had been a 'good' old wise woman, a mistress of herbal magic. But she too was eventually demoted and came to be known as a fiendish old lady in Slavic folk tales.

But there is one class of stories in which the Vyed'ma is represented as differing from the Baba Yaga, in so far as she is the offspring of parents who are not in any way supernatural or inhuman. Without any apparent cause for her abnormal conduct, the daughter of an ordinary royal house will suddenly begin to destroy and devour all living things which fall in her way--her strength developing as rapidly as her appetite. Of such a nature--to be accounted for only on the supposition that an evil spirit has taken up its abode in a human body

When investigating paranormal don't rely on assumptions, base your decisions on facts.
07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
CareTaker, I believe the book you're remembering is called "Bony-Legs" by Joanna Cole. (I wouldn't have remembered but for ScaryGirl's post!)

She also makes an appearance in Orson Scott Card's book "Enchantment". In which the author cleverly equates her flying house with chicken feet to an airplane...
07-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Yall need to see the movie "The Slit Mouth Woman" , its on netflix if your a member there, its sorta along the same lines of what you guys are talking about.

http://www.myspace.com/relicrip
08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I thought the Baba Yaga was Ukranian. lol
Also to add a bit of imformation, the Baba Yaga also has a Skeleton key that she keeps hidden in her house, usually in her cooking pot. She is also in control of ravens and can be defeated by answering a riddle.