Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skeptics guide to shadow people
These experiences are weird, and can be scary. But they're also fascinating, once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to experience the true power of your brain. To conclude that it's a supernatural being is to rob yourself of the real wonder of what's probably happening. Faith in the supernatural offers you nothing better than an implausible and ignorant supposition that stifles further understanding, while the willingness to accept science gives you a whole universe without limits.
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4175
We can also look at these causes.
http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/...omena.html
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
A good article, and good points were made.

But he also mentioned his family and him seeing movement in a bedroom when the door was cracked,
"...When I was a kid we once lived in a house where if you walked up the stairs and one of the upstairs bedroom doors was open a crack, you might see a flash of movement inside the room from the corner of your eye. I saw it a number of times, and other people in my family did too. I thought it looked like someone threw a colored sweatshirt across the room. But: I never saw it whenever I walked carefully up the stairs and kept my eyes on that crack; it only happened if you weren't looking right at it and weren't thinking about it. The more you learn about how the brain fills in data in your peripheral vision and blind spots, the less unexpected and strange this particular experience becomes. I have no useful evidence that anything unusual happened, and I have good information that can adequately explain what was perceived. I personally am not impressed enough to deem it worthy of further investigation, but others might be, and that's a supportable perspective."

It IS a supportable perspective that if he and other people in his family saw this exact thing a number of times that it is worthy of further investigation. His conclusion was that it was nothing unusual. My curiosity would demand that I figured out what it was - what his "good information that adequately explained what was perceived" was.

He didn't bother to elaborate what he figured it was in this article, but you see, this is the crux of the issue. He dismisses it because he doesn't think it could be anything other than something mundane. He isn't "impressed" enough to even be curious as to what it was because since there is no chance of anything paranormal in his world, then it certainly could not be that. Ignore and move on.

While you can certainly make a strong case for many of the reported paranormal events being various misinterpretations of mundane things, as you said, it doesn't follow that all of them can be explained away that easily. If the utter conviction that everything experienced is simply a brain issue, then THAT also stifles further understanding. I'm not talking faith here; neither faith in the supernatural, nor faith in science. The willingness to accept, question, and explore the experience, not science, is what gives you a whole universe without limits. Faith has no part.

Of course we also have vision problems, so as you can see there are many explanations but they just aren't as exciting as a paranormal explanation.
https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/condi...oblems.htm
I often as I lie in bed watching television notice mistakes our vision makes. like focus when we look away from a bright tv screen to movement that turns out to be a thread on a blanket that is out of focus. Reflections of light as a screen darkens or gets bright. To a car pulling out across the road. Even during investigations we hear about shadow people that can be explained by outside traffic. It may require having a team member drive a vehicle around the area and making a right turn as a left turn doesn't cause it.
Lets face it people do not want to admit their mind tricked them.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Bump from 2009 and still ignored by those wanting it to be paranormal. The information is out there if you open your mind and seek it.

and of course we have issues like anxiety that can cause vision issues.
You experience visual irregularities, such as seeing stars, shimmers, blurs, halos, shadows, ghosted images, heat wave-like images, or fogginess.
You might also see things out of the corner of your eye that aren’t there.
You might also experience narrowed or tunnel-like vision.
It might also seem like you’ve lost some peripheral vision.
It might also seem like your vision is surreal, usual, and dream-like.
You might also see flashing lights, spots, and blurriness.
Some people experience a focusing problem where their vision is unusually blurry for no apparent reason.
Some people require having their glasses prescription changed because their vision has suddenly changed.

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-sym...lems.shtml

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I had a real weird experience with shadow people Megvogel1993 0 1,563 12-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Megvogel1993
  My shadow people encounter YoursImmortally 9 6,908 11-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Acea
Exclamation An Increase of Shadow People? aencisor 1 3,507 01-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Last Post: ChaosRose
  Ideas on how to get rid of shadow people? cvas2136 27 90,735 12-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ChaosRose
  why are shadow people bad? Soapstone 6 4,733 09-17-2016, 12:28 AM
Last Post: MaCan