Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
$40,000,000.00 Not a bad scam
08-21-2011, 04:53 AM
$40,000,000.00 Not a bad scam
So far 8 fortune tellers arrested for bilking people out of $40,000,000.00 The phony fortune tellers used magic tricks and false statements to frighten the victims into giving them large amounts of money and other valuables, claiming they would cleanse them of evil spirits, according to the indictment.

Victims were told they'd face terrible consequences if they didn't hand over their valuables, including disease, hauntings and financial hardships, the indictment said.
(well they got the financial hardship right) The sad part is you can go to thousands of these pages. More and more of these are now getting into paranormal investigations.... they go in tell you you have evil or demons but for a price they can clean them.
The sad story

When investigating paranormal don't rely on assumptions, base your decisions on facts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2011, 06:25 AM
RE: $40,000,000.00 Not a bad scam
It is a sad story, yes. I feel for the people who got scammed. However, the good news is that the law is taking this stuff seriously and something is being done.

"I believe that the truth is out there but that it is rarely obvious and almost never foolproof. What I want to believe based on emotions and what I should believe based on evidence do not always coincide. I’m a skeptic not because I do not want to believe, but because I want to know."
- Michael Shermer

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow, 40 Million. Some people are easily fleeced of their wealth. I am curious about one thing though, one of the charges was 'Wife Fraud'. Does anybody know exactly what that is?

"Beware the man of one book."
— St. Thomas Aquinas

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
— Aristotle
08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm going to guess that was a typo because I saw "wire fraud" said a bit further in the article. *squashing "bad wife" jokes...squashing....*

"I believe that the truth is out there but that it is rarely obvious and almost never foolproof. What I want to believe based on emotions and what I should believe based on evidence do not always coincide. I’m a skeptic not because I do not want to believe, but because I want to know."
- Michael Shermer

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
08-22-2011, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2011 02:21 AM by John_M.)
(08-21-2011 06:14 PM)scarygirl67 Wrote:  I'm going to guess that was a typo because I saw "wire fraud" said a bit further in the article. *squashing "bad wife" jokes...squashing....*

I am still going to have to show my wife. I want her to see what she is doing when she 'predicts' things that will happen to me, she is really committing 'wife fraud'.

"Beware the man of one book."
— St. Thomas Aquinas

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
— Aristotle