Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions
Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - Printable Version

+- Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions (http://www.talkparanormal.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics Of Interest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Cryptozoology - Strange Creatures, Monsters And More (/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois (/showthread.php?tid=7985)

Pages: 1 2

Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - FollowMeDown - 06-04-2010 10:48 AM

HEYWORTH, ILLINOIS

Reported by locals, there are supposedly 2 baby black panthers living out in a park right on the outskirts of town. A few locals have said that they were raised by someone in town until he didn't want them anymore, and released them.

Others claim, that the sightings from March 2010 in Decatur, IL are linked to this one. That maybe these creatures have migrated, or are growing in number.

Either way, it's a scary thought. Panthers in a park of all places.

Has anyone heard anything on their end about Central Illinois?

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - scarygirl67 - 06-04-2010 11:09 AM

Yes I have....Troy Taylor mentions about them in his "Haunted Decatur" series, and there have been people I have spoken to that have talked about camping in one of the parks there...Faries Park...and hearing the sounds of a woman screaming...which is the sound a panther makes. There are documented cases of the sightings, but to the best of my knowledge, no carcass has ever been found...and as far back as the sightings go, you would think they would have.

There is also (allegedly) a stump somewhere in the Reas Bridge area that has the words "kilt a panther, 1851" carved into it...but I haven't ever seen that, and I've been all over that place.

Here's a link about the story in Decatur.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/blk-pan-2010/

Now here is the link to the picture taken in 2004....I do NOT think this is a panther. A pretty big kitty...but not a panther.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/decatur-cat/

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - FollowMeDown - 06-04-2010 11:14 AM

Thanks for the link! I am originally from this area, and an acquaintance from the Decatur area told me about the sightings in Decatur a few months back. It's not surprising that a few months later, in a small town an hour away, there would be more sightings.

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - UglyNRude - 06-04-2010 11:35 AM

If you look at yours and the surrounding states you will see cougars have been verified as having returned to an area they once inhabited. While some are thought to be pets released most are thought to be coming from the Dakotas. Now some cougars are very dark with (while rare) some being reported to be black. So yes its possible some of the reports are true.

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - CMF - 06-04-2010 12:25 PM

its Tupac!

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - Roland - 06-04-2010 12:40 PM

We have them i think in are area imo but there's a lot of people that disagree on the subject. My explanation is a melanistic jaguar. *Their like what ,and i say what*

Ive seen bobcat's but never a big cat yet.

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - Lady Ellie - 06-04-2010 12:40 PM

(06-04-2010 12:25 PM)CMF Wrote:  its Tupac!

OMG! ROFL! what are we going to do with you!Icontexto-emoticons-10-032x032 Mrteeth

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - CMF - 06-04-2010 12:42 PM

haha I honestly was thniking "Of course the Black Panther Party is in Chicago "

That link you put up they said was a bermese cat or something.

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - Lady Ellie - 06-04-2010 12:44 PM

I remember when I was a kid people talked about Black Panthers roaming the woods thru there. They speculated that the panthers escaped from a zoo and so on. I have never actually seen one in the wild though. Man, thinking about it, that story has been going around for a very long time.

BTW: I got it CMF Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032

RE: Black Panther Sightings in Central Illinois - Andrasta - 06-04-2010 12:51 PM

(06-04-2010 11:35 AM)UglyNRude Wrote:  If you look at yours and the surrounding states you will see cougars have been verified as having returned to an area they once inhabited. While some are thought to be pets released most are thought to be coming from the Dakotas. Now some cougars are very dark with (while rare) some being reported to be black. So yes its possible some of the reports are true.

Even the ones that look solid black aren't and upon closer inspection (provided one wishes to get that close to one) you will see the patterns on the fur.

Quote:Black panthers are melanistic colour variants of several species of larger cat.

Close examination of the color of these black cats will show that the typical markings are still there, but are hidden by the excess black pigment melanin, giving an effect similar to that of printed silk.

Both attached photos are of these melanistic black panthers. In one it is quite clear that the black is not a solid colour, in the other, you can't tell.