Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions
Betty and Barney Hill discussion - Printable Version

+- Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions (http://www.talkparanormal.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics Of Interest (http://www.talkparanormal.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Weird Science, Astronomy, UFO's And Extraterrestrials (http://www.talkparanormal.com/forum-52.html)
+--- Thread: Betty and Barney Hill discussion (/thread-23971.html)

Betty and Barney Hill discussion - Darkforeboding - 04-17-2019

I was watching TV today and they had a show about the origin of the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."  Part of the show discussed the abduction story of Betty and Barney Hill and spoke with a woman that claimed to be a the daughter of friends to whom the Hills had disclosed their abduction story before submitting to hypnotherapy.  It contained a few things I hadn't heard before and gave a different account than what I've generally heard.

Anyone here want to give their opinions on the Hill abduction case.  Not to be judgmental, I just want to hear all sides.

RE: Betty and Barney Hill discussion - Mika - 04-18-2019

I am not a UFO-ologist (apparently, that’s a thing) but, as I understand it, this couple repeatedly changed their account of the incident over time.  Without judging why they might be untruthful, lies have a way of spinning out of control and you have to make up other lies to explain the logic of the original.

It isn’t uncommon for someone who is obsessed with an idea or wants to believe something to convince themselves that belief is true.  Under those circumstances, being hypnotized wouldn’t change their beliefs.  Recall repressed memories?  Perhaps.  Negate their beliefs?  No.  Our minds never stop working and hypnotherapy can also lead to someone’s imagination creating details that aren’t factual and didn’t exist before the ‘therapy.’

Many things can cause the ‘missing time’ phenomenon, as well as hallucinations.  Alcohol, drugs, a severe case of the flu.  I admit that mental illness is unlikely, as the odds of them both suffering a psychotic break at the same time is pretty low, but it is a possibility.  Still, the other things could be shared conditions.

Now, to be fair, I don’t personally believe that ‘aliens’ visit our planet.  I believe there is likely life, even sentient life, out there… but from the physics books I’ve read, I don’t see a plausible way they could get here.  Wormholes or the bending of space... again, remote.

When it comes to the paranormal, I always ask the question of ‘why?’  Why would beings so advanced as to have mastered inter-galaxy travel travel all the way to another galaxy, abduct and molest 2 of its inhabitants, then let them go, like some kind of fishing ‘catch and release’ thing with yr kids.

Not cools, by the way.  Fishing hooks are sharp.  My grandpa and I used to do that when I was small but… there are other ways to enjoy yr time on the lake without injuring such a beautiful and graceful creature as a fish.
#fishfeelpaintoo  Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032

I should probably add my typical disclaimer.  These are my personal thoughts on the matter.  I do have knowledge about psychology, logic and some about physics but I am, in no means, an expert on anything.  Except maybe zombie cinema.  And to my UFO hunting friends… there is life out there.  Just look at everything from a critical perspective. 

Also, be at peace.  I can think of no logical reason why aliens would be interested in yr genitals.

Blueud   

RE: Betty and Barney Hill discussion - Darkforeboding - 04-18-2019

(04-18-2019, 08:43 AM)Mika Wrote: as I understand it, this couple repeatedly changed their account of the incident over time.

That's the idea I got from the segment I watched.  I'd previously been told that they'd only remembered being abducted under hypnosis, but the person stated that they'd told her parents the account on the day after and long before they'd gone for hypno-therapy.

Many things can cause the ‘missing time’ phenomenon, as well as hallucinations.  Alcohol, drugs, a severe case of the flu.  I admit that mental illness is unlikely, as the odds of them both suffering a psychotic break at the same time is pretty low, but it is a possibility.  Still, the other things could be shared conditions.

And two of my favorites, highway hypnosis and epileptic seizures.  It's actually possible to have a type of epilepsy where your seizures are like being in a hypnotic state, awake but not conscious of time passing and not looking unusual to anyone that isn't observing closely.

When it comes to the paranormal, I always ask the question of ‘why?’  Why would beings so advanced as to have mastered inter-galaxy travel travel all the way to another galaxy, abduct and molest 2 of its inhabitants, then let them go, like some kind of fishing ‘catch and release’ thing with yr kids.

I agree.  Throw into the mix my thoughts that any beings evolving in a different environment would be as different from us as we are from an octopus.  I don't think beings from another planet would have two arms, two legs, and a head with two eyes over a nose and a mouth.  And the idea that aliens come here to see if they could cross-breed with us is as strange to me as telling me Einstein went to the bottom of the ocean to see if he could breed with a sea cucumber.