Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions

Full Version: Those Domestic Weather Stations - Paranormal Tool
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a beast for debunking the kind of evidence that would have John Zaffis foaming at the mouth, I'm going to accept immediately that "anything you study, you also interact with and change" so this is going to have really limited validity.

You know you get them digital weather stations for the home, with a few sensors you dangle out the window, and an in-built barometer, and stuff? Environmental factors, humidity, temperature changes and trends... they have a few things which might be interesting to the experimental "ghost hunter" types.

Like me.

So I'm thinking about getting a pair, so I can compare the two against one another (neither will be a control as such, because environments can be different from room to room) and gather a little bit of information. Ideally used static in places where I'm not investigating and wandering about recording my coat rustling on an EVP recorder.

No specific question, just interested if anyone would have opinions on this.
I can see how you could get an idea of background changes across a period, as these things often give a daily read out of maximum & minimum across a period. My reservation would be anyone using one that has a Radio Frequency linked sensor, rather than a hard wired one.
Often these things use 433 Mhz licence free links & to see the danger of that look at how people often get locked out of cars, as a lot of car remote & immobilisers are also on 433mhz.
433 mhz is licensed to the military as primary users & then to radio amateurs on a secondary basis. Personally I have the capability of using up to 400 watts on 433 & these licence free devices are poorly built & only capable of around one tenth of a watt into a poor antenna. I use 10 watts & up at home & into an antenna which multiplies what I put into it, by several hundred percent. So my 10 watts becomes around 80 watts radiated by the antenna, while the car remote fob or the weather station remote sensor probably becomes less than their 100 milliwatt out of their antennas.
My 5 watt handheld radio using it's small standard antenna jams a large car park & my base station using 10 watts leaves people locked out of vehicles or people unable to lock them across a really big area. But I am a legal user of that frequency & at 5 or 10 watts, I am using a fraction of what I can legally use there.
Which is also a good point if you are using any type of EMF or EVP device in the same area. You might try picking up the interference that it makes on EVP so that you can recognize it when you hear it. I'm not sure about the wireless weather transmitters but a lot of transmitters use an FM digital signal.
Ah, yes, that's a good point.

At the moment I have a really basic one that trails wires, but if I get one that is constantly pinging a RF wireless sensor it's going to mess with EMF. That's a thing I'll have to look out for when buying, if I do. Some of the places I set up in have Wi-Fi daisy-chains through the building, and I'm learning to read Wi-Fi "shadow spots" and "reflections" on surfaces, and learn a little bit how the signal "flows" through building structure. Adding RF is going to, I expect, do the same in different ways. But certainly, I want to avoid bringing EM contamination as much as is possible.
I suggest reading this as it deals with how flawed most baseline readings are. It also suggests using multiple sources for baseline readings.
http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/htmlfiles/Baselines.html
(11-30-2016 06:02 PM)Faranormal Wrote: [ -> ]I'm learning to read Wi-Fi "shadow spots" and "reflections" on surfaces, and learn a little bit how the signal "flows" through building structure.

Wi Fi is on five different frequencies. So is five totally different things. One is at 2.4 GHz, another at 3.6 GHz, the third at 4.9 GHz, the fifth at 5 GHz, and lastly you have 5.9 GHz.
The wavelength of 2.4 GHz (2400 MHz) is 12.5 cm's. At 5.9 GHz it has reduced to 5mm.
The larger a wavelength is the less attenuation it suffers. Broadcast FM radio is around 3 meters & AM (Medium Wave is around 600 down to around 200 meters.
Each of the wi fi frequencies will behave differently within a building as the path attenuation will be different. That is each will loose different amounts of energy as it passes or fails to pass obstructions like humans, tables, walls etc.
So there will be shadows caused by obstructions or what are called black holes, places where no signals get to.
So the buildings design, construction materials & contents will all effect how RF behaves within it's environment. So each room within a building is different to the last & thus it is impossible to recognise how RF will behave within any set environment, other than free space.
Reference URL's