Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions

Full Version: Increasing noise floor levels.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just seen a report that says that Ofcom are changing the power levels needed to operate a VHF low band PMR system due to the ever increasing noise floor level.
The noise floor level is the noise that we commonly call static. Some of this is natural & if you can find a place sufficiently far away from man made electrical interference, then you will see a totally different level of noise & hear how soft & quiet it can be.
However in some areas the man made noise floor level can be exceptionally high & in most areas it will change with the time of day as well.
Solar winds hitting our atmosphere also creates pops & bangs & Lightning strikes some very strange noises on the Ultra Low Frequencies.
The Ofcom report states..
Quote:The increase in Noise Floor level means you now need 150 watts to achieve the coverage once obtained with a 10 watt transmitter.

This background noise will effect both EVP & EMF.
There are three types of EMF
Very Low Frequency Magnetic Fields. Down in the Hz.
Very Low Frequency Electric Fields again in the Hz.
RF (Radio Frequency) Fields. Which in part both the above will include. RF goes from the Hz (hearing & below) to the Giga Hertz (light) spectrum.
Mains electricity is either 50 or 60 hz depending upon which country you are in.
Noise floor levels & thus emf readings could fluctuate by many many dB as items are switched on or off & 3 dB is a doubling. And each 3dB is double the last & each S meter reading on a listening device should be 6 dB.
So knowing there is a peak in background noise at say 3am as a automatic system sends data or a heating system switches on, is important.
On my radio equipment I can watch the QRM (man made interference) increase my noise floor from manageable to completely unworkable as items are switched on between 4 & 6pm &then the noise floor start to drop from around 10.30 to a very plesant low at around 2am. It then peaks around 8.30 am again & then settles to a day time manageable level
again.
I noticed this years ago when I had a CB radio in the USA. The noise level at times was so high that it was virtually unusable.
(11-05-2016 08:32 AM)Darkforeboding Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed this years ago when I had a CB radio in the USA. The noise level at times was so high that it was virtually unusable.

Day times on the lower frequencies (3.5 to 7 MHz) I see between S7 & S9 at my home & in the evenings Between S9 & a full reflection. On the higher bands 20 to 10 meters it's not as bad & on VHF / UHF most times of day I see S3 to 5. BUT I see peaks on VHF & UHF. For example a lot of us scanner enthusiasts cannot monitor the Marine Emergency Channel Zero. 156.000 MHz as it has a peak on it caused by wi fi hubs used by I think it's BT.

From an EMF perspective reflected signals can also effect peaks & troughs.
I was chatting to a friend a few years ago from my mobile (car based system) to his home based system & the signals were fluctuating by 12 dB (2 S points on the needle.) It took a moment or two to figure it out. But it was the signal bouncing off an aircraft. At nights aurora borealis can effect signals & in the morning & occasionally the evenings Fog can cause something called inversion which will cause some signals to travel 100's of Km's.
RF signals will naturally take multiple paths due to bouncing off building, topography etc & that can cause fading & interesting effects sometimes.
And aurora borealis is interesting as it causes audio to sound very strange & electronic.
And all of the above can cause people who do not know what they are measuring a real problem. As how can you rule anything out, or in, if it could be anything that you are listening too?
Reference URL's