Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions

Full Version: Paranormal Education
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am amazed when I see people who claim to research or investigate paranormal that just haven't a clue.

Assumption-led investigations

A lot of current ghost research is 'assumption-led'. In other words, investigators start with certain assumptions, like 'ghosts are spirits', and then seek evidence to confirm that assumption. This is circular logic and not the way science works. In science, you start by collecting evidence in a neutral way, ensuring it is accurate, and then using it to form theories that explain the evidence. These theories are then tested to see if they are correct.

Why not use Scientific ghost research? Oh wait we know why as it goes against what you want to believe. See a problem?

The concept that ghost are 'spirits' appears to be largely a cultural phenomenon. It is a widespread belief among the public, probably spread largely through fiction and media coverage rather than as the result of real life haunting cases. The popularity of the idea is probably why TV producers use assumption-led methods in their ghost hunting shows. It is what the public expects!

Information is available to those who truly want to learn and understand paranormal claims. Why not use it?

Study the human mind and how unreliable it really is.
Study Parasomnias
Infrasounds
Study home inspections to understand drafts, and noises.
Use science like The Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous
Phenomenon
Study neurological issues and the paranormal. Like how childhood trauma can lead to paranormal claims later in life. Anxiety depression, psychosis's, PTSD's ect, ect.

Isn't the truth what we all should be looking for? Facts? Using common sense and critical thinking?

How about the only accredited association? ASSAP Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena has been recognized by the UK government as a professional body for investigators of anomalous phenomena

http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/htmlfiles...study.html
(08-19-2016 04:44 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: [ -> ]The concept that ghost are 'spirits' appears to be largely a cultural phenomenon. It is a widespread belief among the public, probably spread largely through fiction and media coverage rather than as the result of real life haunting cases. The popularity of the idea is probably why TV producers use assumption-led methods in their ghost hunting shows. It is what the public expects!

http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/htmlfiles...study.html

I believe, instead, that belief that a ghost is a spirit predates fiction and media by thousands of years and stretches across cultures from the Far East to the far west. Scientists have considered that a belief in a deity might be hard wired into the human brain and I have a similar idea that belief in a human soul is connected to human consciousness. In spite of human beings having the ability to consciously choose to believe other things our subconscious biases us to believing in an immortal soul and a deity.
[/quote]

I believe, instead, that belief that a ghost is a spirit predates fiction and media by thousands of years and stretches across cultures from the Far East to the far west. Scientists have considered that a belief in a deity might be hard wired into the human brain and I have a similar idea that belief in a human soul is connected to human consciousness. In spite of human beings having the ability to consciously choose to believe other things our subconscious biases us to believing in an immortal soul and a deity.

[/quote]
Very interesting. I was talking about this with my mom a while after I was telling her about my pagan beliefs over Christianity (That went well. Not that she was super gung-ho about religious practices, at all, anyways.) and she was doing some geneology research on our family, and she came across an ancestor from the mid 1800-early 1900's who Metis (French-aboriginal). She was telling me (during her good moods, when she gives a rats-arse about what I say.) how aboriginal spirituality is so strong and deep that it dwells in the genes for hundreds of generations, even those who are not fully aboriginal.
My first thought was " That's why I lean towards a more nature-oriented, balanced belief of the universe." I like to think of everything as having a spirit and everything should be respected. Hunt if you must, but the sacrificed creature must be honored and asked for forgiveness and thanked. I thought this way of thinking was just my own perspective outlook on spirituality. Just recently, after winding up listening to one of those public television specials, this one was about a certain First Nations community that was concerned about how their land was being treated. They were talking about how everything has a spirit and all things that are sacrificed should be asked for forgiveness and honored, and they were angry that developers were not doing that. It sort of clicked in me that this is what I believe. If that makes sense. Trying not to ramble too much. It's late/early morning and I have to get up in a couple hours for work. Obviously I'm not getting much sleep before then.
Reference URL's