Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions

Full Version: Best equipment for starting up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all!

My partner and I want to start investigation paranormal phenomenon as a hobby. Which equipment is best to start up with? We have a budget of around £60-£100 and I have had a good look around but there is so much out there!

Thanks in advance for your help.
(06-24-2016 08:05 AM)Megz04 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all!

My partner and I want to start investigation paranormal phenomenon as a hobby. Which equipment is best to start up with? We have a budget of around £60-£100 and I have had a good look around but there is so much out there!

There is not one piece of equipment that has been proven to show the supernatural exists so you can go with all the other delusional ghost hunters.
That said most claimed evidence is poor photography so get a decent camera and of course lets not forget the EVP another paranormal joke where people THINK they are capturing paranormal. So get a good recorder.

Good luck
How about knowledge?

You didn't explain how much knowledge you have of the criteria nor have a clue on what equipment you need. If that's your budget limit, I'm sorry to say that you won't get much if anything. Cameras, meters, and other recording devices costs way more than that. Also, just like UnR said, you should really learn about the paranormal and how much of it is actual fraud and bold public lies for monetary gain.
(06-27-2016 12:03 PM)Vultyrex Wrote: [ -> ]How about knowledge?

You didn't explain how much knowledge you have of the criteria nor have a clue on what equipment you need. If that's your budget limit, I'm sorry to say that you won't get much if anything. Cameras, meters, and other recording devices costs way more than that. Also, just like UnR said, you should really learn about the paranormal and how much of it is actual fraud and bold public lies for monetary gain.

Thanks for your reply - I should have explained myself better. I have a lifelong interest and have read about and studied paranormal phenomena for as long as I remember (around 30 years). I watch every documentary available and I have been on a couple of investigations. I looked into doing investigations as a hobby a fair few years ago (10-12 years ago) and all the equipment was very expensive - however now I have looked into it again I am finding equipment sets for £50 or £60. I really just wanted some recommendations from the budget equipment out there. I have read reviews but it isn't the same as people using the equipment for this purpose. Also which items of kit people had most interesting results with, in order to narrow down which items to buy. I am a scientist (a biologist) and I have a rational mind. Believe me I am here to do proper investigations, not just to hunt 'ghosts'.

Edit: I have a strong interest in cryptozoology due to my biology background and it is something I am knowledgeable about and did several university projects on the subject.
(06-27-2016 12:33 PM)Megz04 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your reply - I should have explained myself better. I have a lifelong interest and have read about and studied paranormal phenomena for as long as I remember (around 30 years). I watch every documentary available and I have been on a couple of investigations. I looked into doing investigations as a hobby a fair few years ago (10-12 years ago) and all the equipment was very expensive - however now I have looked into it again I am finding equipment sets for £50 or £60. I really just wanted some recommendations from the budget equipment out there. I have read reviews but it isn't the same as people using the equipment for this purpose. Also which items of kit people had most interesting results with, in order to narrow down which items to buy. I am a scientist (a biologist) and I have a rational mind. Believe me I am here to do proper investigations, not just to hunt 'ghosts'.

Edit: I have a strong interest in cryptozoology due to my biology background and it is something I am knowledgeable about and did several university projects on the subject.

Hi Megz, I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I can't believe there haven't been any helpful replies. I hope that hasn't put you off!

I'm new on this forum, but like you I've been interested in the paranormal for a long time. I've been on a lot of organised investigations, and I've also been out a lot on my own (with a friend - don't go entirely on your own, you never know what might happen). Organised groups tend to have a lot of equipment, and although I agree with others that it's difficult to know what effect a ghost would have on any particular thing, it's also difficult to say that it wouldn't have any effect at all. If you're going out to investigate, then it's clear that you'll want some equipment to see whether it is affected or not.

I've used spirit boards and glass divination etc. on organised investigations. In my opinion this is almost always, if not always, being manipulated by one of the people involved. So I'll stick with more verifiable equipment:

Pencils/pens and paper (low tech, but record everything - revisiting a location and comparing results can show when there was an anomaly rather than just a natural change)
Thermometers (ghosts are reported to cause changes in temperature)
Humidity meters (sudden changes could be paranormal I guess, but more importantly this can give evidence to explain away occurrences naturally)
Cameras (most things caught on camera can be explained, but if you don't have it then you'll never know)
Voice recorders (I like traditional cassette tape because it is affected by electromagnetic waves, but most groups use electronic recorders because they're more convenient)
A good torch and spare batteries
First aid kit - particularly if you're going anywhere out of the way
Stop watch - these usually have the time on them as well, so you can record when things happen, but this can be useful for explaining any sudden changes, if it seems to be on a timed pattern then it's probably natural
Trigger objects - anything that will make a noise or leave a clear mark if it is moved

You should be able to get the lot well within your budget. Have fun!
Just go out visit sites, look at others work & start there.
Spend you money on good books etc & learn exactly how things work & why others get it so wrong.
Too many people who go ghost hunting use equipment that they do not have a clue about. Which makes that equipment worse than useless. It makes that alledged investigation inaccurate & misleading.
Good research & an understanding of why others may have got things wrong is the cheapest starting point & also an academically acceptable form of research.
There's a rabbit hole to go down if you choose to go that route. You might even get something recorded. The problem with all of it is that people basically haunt themselves. And if you have any inner demons, they're sure to show up. I wouldn't suggest it for anyone who is experiencing depression, mental health issues, anxiety, trauma, grief, feelings of guilt, excessive fear...the list could go on.

Whatever you encounter is from your own psyche, and no one can punish you better than yourself. No one else knows you better.

You don't need expensive equipment. You can even do this with an old tape recorder (just make sure you have fresh tapes). It would be great to also have a cam, but you can save up for that.

If you find things getting too weird, then you've let yourself believe you're not in control. My advice would be to immediately quit that, lol, which is often easier said than done.

If you approach this as an investigation into the psyche and what it can produce, then you might have an interesting experience.
A compass can give a broad location of a local electromagnetic field, if you can't afford an EMF device. It will pick up on electrical devices, such as refrigerators, too.
Please don't waste your money on expensive equipment! If you photograph the truth it will be distorted, fuzzy, can be warped looking discolored you name it but it wont be clear! The best way to get somewhat of a clear picture is MIRRORS! I'm known here as the worst photographer EVER but that's cause my pics are real. I didn't go looking for Spirits, they have been around me my whole life well there around all of us but I knew they were there. It was not overwhelming or all the time just occasionally and I have pics with Spirits through out my life BUT a year and half ago I had a Double Mastectomy and tissue expanders put in. Tissue expanders have magnets, mine are putting off very high EMF reading and I believe that's why I'm attracting soooo many. Unfortunately America doesn't really have regulations on this type of situation and my Husband passing away last year left me without medical so I'm a walking talking electromagnetic field. My advice if you want it is to study Quantum Physics and the paranormal. There is so much more to it then just paranormal but that you will have to discover on your own. ChaosRoses advice is on mark, please take in what she said. I'm going to show you one pic. I am 5'2 and 135lbs and in this pic I look 200lbs and there is an eye coming through my cheek but that's just what happens sometimes to me. I want you to notice the purple particles that is what your looking for in a home to investigate if you find this type of particles in the pics there's MANY spirits in that home and I guarantee you YOU WILL get a pic of a spirit if not many remember MIRRORS. If you come across red particles I suggest you don't investigate for own self! Second pic spirit in the particle[attachment=960][attachment=961] my Mother been gone since I was 16.
(06-24-2016 08:05 AM)Megz04 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all!

Ti priporočam raje ne .
Paranormalni niso lego kocke,da bi se vsak ,ki ima pet minut časa igral.
Duhovi niso stvar da jih iščeš, ker oni najdejo tebe.
Najdejo pa te če imaš prirojeno v genih ,ki so spremenjeni zaradi reinkarnacije ali drugega življenja.
Vse ostalo je igračkanje,ki te lahko pripelje v črno cono misterija kjer ti bo zagrenilo življenje.

Jaz sem sprehajalec z duhovi že več kot pol stoletja.

I suggest rather not.
Paranormal not Lego, to everyone who has five minutes to play.
The ghosts did not matter that they're looking for, because they find you.
But find that if you have inherited the genes that are altered as a result of reincarnation or another life.
Everything else is tinkering that this may result in a black zone of mystery where you will embitter life.

I am a walker with ghosts for more than half a century.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's